Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Uisaed, Royal Observer Corp Post

Observation Post (Second World War)

Site Name Uisaed, Royal Observer Corp Post

Classification Observation Post (Second World War)

Canmore ID 348770

Site Number NR62SW 23

NGR NR 62866 20723

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/348770

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Campbeltown
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Activities

Public Site Comment (30 September 2015)

A small brick ROC Observation Post lies on a slight ridge above and to the WSW of the former lifeboat station and slipway at Uisaed.

The building is aligned N-S and has two compartments. The S compartment was probably roofed with corrugated iron sheeting as suggested by the impression of sheeting on the wall head on the S elevation. The N compartment contained the observation equipment with the entrance in the NE corner.

The post was established at this location in July 1942, replacing an earlier post near Ballygrogan Farm, and remained in use until 1960.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) and M Biscoe 30 September 2015.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions