Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberlemno

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Aberlemno

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Aberlemno Roadside; Aberlemno No.1

Canmore ID 34861

Site Number NO55NW 8.01

NGR NO 52277 55918

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34861

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Aberlemno
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Treasured Places (7 September 2001)

This Pictish Symbol Stone, known as Aberlemno No.1, stands on the south side of the road from Forfar to Brechin, a short distance to the north of Aberlemno church. Dating to about the 7th century AD, it bears three Pictish symbols, usually described as the serpent, the double disc and Z-rod, and the mirror and comb.

Information from RCAHMS (SC, JBS) 7 September 2007

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Aberlemno 1, Angus, Pictish symbol stone

Measurements: H 1.88m above ground, W 0.84m, D 0.23m

Stone type: Old Red Sandstone

Place of discovery: NO 52277 55918

Present location: in situ beside the road at Aberlemno.

Evidence for discovery: first recorded by Skene in 1832.

Present condition: weathered.

Description

This slab is incised on one broad face with a serpent above a double-disc and Z-rod above a mirror and single-sided comb.

Date range: seventh century.

Primary references: Skene 1832, 18; Fraser 2008, no 51.1.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017.

Activities

Antiquarian Observation (1832)

Drawings made by James Skene.

Antiquarian Observation (1848)

Drawings made by P Chalmers.

Reference (1983)

NO55NW 8.01 5227 5591.

No.1. A Class I symbol stone stands adjacent to the public road 245m N of Aberlemno Church. On one face there are a serpent, a double disc with Z-rod, a mirror and a comb; near the bottom on the back there are six cup-marks.

RCAHMS 1983.

Photographic Record (1 September 1999 - 30 September 1999)

Photos taken during a field trip by the Edinburgh University Archaeology Fieldschool.

Measured Survey (April 2001)

Photographic Survey (April 2001)

Aerial Photography (14 August 2001)

Geophysical Survey (9 October 2017 - 10 October 2017)

NO 52277 55918 An area of c1.32ha was surveyed, 9–10 October 2017, using a Bartington 601 magnetic gradiometer in the field adjacent to a group of three Pictish symbol stones at the edge of Aberlemno Village. No features of possible archaeological significance were identified, with a probable metal pipe immediately to the E of the stones indicating this area may be significantly affected by modern groundworks.

Archive: University of Aberdeen

Funder: University of Aberdeen

James O’Driscoll – University of Aberdeen

(Source: DES, Volume 18)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions