Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Carmyllie Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Carmyllie Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 34746

Site Number NO54SW 5

NGR NO 5461 4319

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34746

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Carmyllie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO54SW 5 5461 4319.

(NO 5461 4319) Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1970)

The foundations of Carmylie Castle can still be traced by Carmylie Farmhouse. "The Rev Mr Headrick (1813)......conjectures that Carmylie and Carnegie (NO54SW 21), where there was likewise a castle, were originally Caledonian Forts...."

NSA 1845; J Headrick 1813;

Carmyllie Castle:- No traces exist. "Mr Kydd states that he was present at the digging up of the old foundations, and many of the stones are now in the outbuildings of the Mains of Carmyllie, also in the walls which divide the fields, some of them have heads carved on them."

Name Book 1858; Information from Mr Kydd, Mason.

There is now no trace of the castle. A stone bearing a crest can be seen built into the south wall of the barn opposite the farmhouse.

Visited by OS (RD) 13 May 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions