Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ferry Point, Ness Of Portnaculter, Raf Meikle Ferry

Air Sea Rescue Station (Second World War)

Site Name Ferry Point, Ness Of Portnaculter, Raf Meikle Ferry

Classification Air Sea Rescue Station (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Meikle Ferry

Canmore ID 347409

Site Number NH78NW 72

NGR NH 7328 8576

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/347409

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Tain
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Field Visit (12 May 2015)

RAF Meikle Ferry was established by the RAF at the ferry pier. No 88 Maintainance Unit Air Sea Rescue operated the base from January 1942 until it closed in February 1946. Up to three fast motor launches operated in an air sea rescue role.

The base comprised two piers/slipways (see NH78NW 31 and 65), a large repair/maintenance shed, a number of buildings providing accommodation for officers and men, mess and cook house. The base also had a small floating dock. Aerial images show up to 23 buildings at the site (106G/Scot/UK 114 3225-6 (flown 23 May 1946).

The large shed appears to be a standard building for Air Sea Rescue Station, with a observation post on the roof. Similar examples existed at Gibbhill (NX65SE 355) and Drummore (NX13NW 72). The current building has been altered, with new cladding and breeze block walls added around the original metal framework.

On the approach road (NH 73308 85733) are five handicraft huts, a standard RAF accommodation hut made of trough shaped asbestos sheets bolted together to form a seven sided roofed building in section with end walls of rendered brick and manufactured from 1942 by the Universal Asbestos Company. The five huts appear to be in good condition, but some of the windows and doorways have been bricked up, and one hut has a chimney attached. Huts bases can be seen on at each end of the row. To the NW of the five huts are two modern houses, which were built on the site of RAF buildings.

An additional handcraft hut was recorded at NH 73179 85840 by Highland Council HER, prior to demolition.

Visited by RCAHMS (AKK) 7 may 2015.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions