Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Barry, Woodhill House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Barry, Woodhill House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Woodhill Mansion

Canmore ID 34607

Site Number NO53SW 6

NGR NO 52145 34470

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Barry
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Architecture Notes

NO53SW 6.00 52145 34470

NO53SW 6.01 5192 3449 Woodhill House, Lodge

NO53SW 6.02 52156 34440 Woodhill House, Sundial

NO53SW 6.03 52127 34561 Woodhill House, Dovecot


Architect: Sir Robert Lorimer 1907-9 additions and alterations.

(NO 5215 3446) Woodhill mansion is an old building, but its date of erection is uncertain. It was built by the Auchinleck family who were granted the estate in 1532. It is a plain building, and on a slab over the doorway of the courtyard are the initials J K - H F and the date 1700. Over the door of the inner courtyard is a stone bearing the date 1604 and the initials W A - M D. Other datestones at Woodhill - 1752, 1773, and 1704 - are from Carnoustie House. Built into the dovecot (at NO 5212 3455) is another stone bearing the Auchinleck arms and the beginning of a date 16--.

A J Warden 1882

Woodhill House is entirely modern and is dated 1908. No early structure was noted. Some of the stones mentioned by Warden are still to be seen built into the walls of the buildings. The rectangular ruined dovecot is of typical 17th - 18th century date. Its datestone lies on the ground at its base; the date is illegible.

Visited by OS (JLD) 19 May 1958.


Watching Brief (2001)

NO53SW 6 52145 34470.

NO 5215 3451 A watching brief was carried out in February 2001 on a development in the grounds of Woodhill House. The present mansion dates to 1908 but this lies directly on the site of a much older building. This watching brief was intended to pick up any remaining traces of the original mansion building, its outbuildings or landscape garden features. In one trench, situated next to the walled garden, a stone-built culvert was uncovered. This was the only archaeological feature recorded. (SUAT CA02).

Sponsor: Mr Geert Derumez.

G Brown 2001.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions