Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kinkell

Farmhouse (19th Century)

Site Name Kinkell

Classification Farmhouse (19th Century)

Canmore ID 34445

Site Number NO51SW 2

NGR NO 53958 14689

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34445

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51SW 2.00 53958 14689

See also NO51NW 722.

NO51SW 2.01 NO 54022 14739 Farmsteading

The estate of Kinkell in St Andrews parish was 'long possessed by the family of Moneypenny of Pitmilly, and afterwards (in 1640) by the Hamiltons of Kinkell.'

A H Millar 1895

A charter by James VI confirming a charter by 'Andrew Kynnynmouth' of Craighall mentions the lands of 'Kinkell and Snawdoun' with fortalice - 'formerly belonging to the Provost of the Collegiate Church of St Mary of the Rock' (NO51NW 7). The charter is dated at Edinburgh, 3rd August 1591.

Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot 1580-93

Local enquiries failed to obtain any information regarding this 'fortalice'. There are no signs of any old walls of buildings in or about the farm of Kinkell.

Visited by OS (JLD) 22 October 1956

No change.

Visited by OS (EGC) 265 August 1968

'Kinkell Castle' is depicted and named (ion non-antiquity type) on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6-inch county map (Fife, 1855, sheet 12). It does not appear on the Ordanance Survey 3rd edition 1 inch to one mile map (Arbroath, 1903, sheet 49).

Information from RCAHMS (MMD) 23 November 2009.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions