Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, St Leonard's School

School (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Andrews, St Leonard's School

Classification School (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Leonard's College; St Andrews School For Girls; St Leonard's And St Katherine's Schools;

Canmore ID 34363

Site Number NO51NW 74

NGR NO 51251 16577

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34363

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 74.00 51251 16577

NO51NW 74.01 NO 51348 16506 Oliphant Memorial Gates

NO51NW 74.02 NO 51224 16371 St Nicholas House

NO51NW 74.03 NO 5137 1656 School

NO51NW 74.04 NO 5132 1656 School

NO51NW 74.05 NO 5146 1654 Urban Excavation

NO51NW 74.06 NO 5146 1654 House

NO51NW 74.07 NO 5124 1664 Lane

NO51NW 74.08 NO 51273 16516 Grant Memorial Dial

NO51NW 74.09 Cancelled

NO51NW 74.10 NO 51285 16595 Pend Arch

NO51NW 74.11 NO 51426 16541 Oliphant Memorial Dial

NO51NW 74.13 NO 51208 16587 Classroom Block

Information from RCAHMS (DE) 11 March 1996

NO 5139 1644 An archaeological evaluation was carried out in advance of the development of an extension to the science building at St Leonard's School, St Andrews. The site lies within the medieval abbey precinct, close to part of the SW precinct wall. Five test pits were cut to investigate sub-surface deposits. Excavation revealed that the area was much disturbed by modern pipe and cable trenches. No in situ archaeological deposits were located, although medieval and post-medieval potsherds were found.

Sponsor: St Leonard's School.

G Wilson and H Moore, 1996b

Architecture Notes

NO51NW 74.00 51251 16577

St Andrews School for Girls moved to Old St Leonard's College buildings in 1882 and adopted their name to become St Leonards School for Girls.

A typical feature of this section of the school is that of the rooms, twenty in number, with the necessary closets, erected most probably in the first half of the 17th century - records show that it was repaired in 1660. It was in 1882 that the conversion of the buildings into the St Leonard's Girl's School took place, this part now forming the house for the headmistress.

ARCHITECT: John Milne 1853-54, reconstruction

REFERENCE:

ST ANDREWS UNIVERSITY LIBRARY:

Plans: UY1383, John MIlne 1853-54, plans for reconstruction

For more details see copy of St Andrews University catalogue of drawings in NMRS

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions