Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, Market St, Auction Hall

Settlement (Medieval), Scraper (Tool) (Flint)

Site Name St Andrews, Market St, Auction Hall

Classification Settlement (Medieval), Scraper (Tool) (Flint)

Canmore ID 34334

Site Number NO51NW 48

NGR NO 5114 1672

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34334

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 48 5114 1672.

Limited excavation and a watching brief during redevelopment of this site revealed over 1m of archaeological deposit. A Neolithic/Bronze Age flint scraper was found as well as 3 sherds of 'developed Stamford ware' dating possibly to the 12th century. A series of substantial features consisting of pits and gullies cut into the natural subsoil contained possibly 13th century pottery. These were sealed by a layer of garden soil 0.5m - 0.75m thick that was in turn sealed by the remains of a group of stone cottages, built in the 16th and 17th centuries, demolished in the 19th century before the hall was built.

J Wordsworth 1983.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions