Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, 71 North Street

House (15th Century), Office (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Andrews, 71 North Street

Classification House (15th Century), Office (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) University Offices

Canmore ID 34305

Site Number NO51NW 21

NGR NO 51024 16837

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34305

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 21 51024 16837

(NO 5102 1684) No.71 North Street "which stands at the eastern end of St Salvator's Church (NO51NW 10) and is now part of the University offices, seems to date from the early 16th century but many alterations were made on the fabric in the century following. It is L-shaped on plan and three storeys in height. The most interesting feature left is the little circular tower projecting from the SW angle, which was apparently a stair tower. In pre-Reformation times this house belonged to the Hospitallers or Knights of St John. Traditionally it is associated with Queen Mary. In 1572 it was acquired by the Protestant archbishop, Patrick Adamson (D H Fleming 1881)".

RCAHMS 1933

This is a small unpretentious building, which has been considerably restored, and is as described above.

Visited by OS (JLD) 17 October 1956

As described above.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 28 May 1964

Architecture Notes

NO51NW 21 51024 16837

ARCHITECT: David Henry, 1912, additions

Reginald Fairlie, 1938, Gate to (old) University Offices

REFERENCE:

ST ANDREWS UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Plans: UY/1381

For further details please see copy of catalogue to St Andrews University Library plans in NMRS

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions