Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, North Street, Dean's Court

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Manse (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Andrews, North Street, Dean's Court

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Manse (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Archdeacon's Manse

Canmore ID 34295

Site Number NO51NW 16

NGR NO 51290 16723

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34295

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 16 51290 16723

(NO 5129 1671) Dean's Court (NAT)

OS 25" map (1914)

This house, formerly known as the 'Archdeacon's Inns or Manse' stands at the southeastcorner of North Street opposite the western end of the Cathedral. It is a three-storied building of the late 16th century with a vaulted ground floor and is L-shaped on plan. The main block has been extended westwards in the same century or shortly after its close. The re-entrant angle opens to a courtyard and an archway in the wall which bears the arms of George Douglas, may be 16th century, but is more probably of the 17th century. Within the courtyard is a draw-well.

RCAHMS 1933

Extensive internal reconstruction in 1950-1 involved rebuilding of the stairtowers and main doorway and the raising of the roof of the north wing by one storey. Cup-marked 'mounting block' at Dean's Court Measures 182 x 83 cms. ? Fallen orthostat or cist cover.

Information from D C Baird MS notes, 15 January 1952

This is a large and completely restored building in use as a private residence. Well and cup marked mounting block are within the courtyard. Visited by OS (JLD) 17 October 1956

Dean's Court is as described by OS (JLD). The cup marked mounting block measures 1.7m x 0.8m x 0.2m and is covered with small cups; no rings were noted. The draw-well appears to have been restored. The cup- marked stone is at NO 5128 1669, the well is 7.0m East of it.

Well and cup marked stone surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 29 May 1964

NO 5130 1671 A short programme of recording concentrated on the panelled first-floor chamber within the core element of the Dean's Court complex. The structure is thought to date to the early years of the 16th century and is recorded as having been renovated in 1951.

Exposed floor joists were recorded and the sequence of construction identified. The earliest surviving timbers appear to date from the original construction of this part of the Dean's Court complex. A recorded hearth site is contemporary with the earliest floor joist series.

The present plaster ceiling in the ground-floor chamber below dates to the later 19th/early 20th century and appears to be part of the same programme as the re-panelling of the two principal rooms, which in turn saw some recycling of (?original) panelling. This new ceiling was supported in part by the original joists.

Thereafter, the history of the floor is one of repair and consolidation, commencing with the additional series of joists and strutting, as part of an attempt to support the clearly sagging floor. This all occurred before the addition of electrical services, the earliest evidence for which used fittings of pre-WW2 type.

Sponsor: University of St Andrews.

G Ewart 2000

Architecture Notes

NO51NW 16 51290 16723

ARCHITECT: Reginald Fairlie, 1933, Gate to Deans Court.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions