Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, 4 South Street, Queen Mary's House, St Leonards School Library

House (Period Unassigned), Library (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Andrews, 4 South Street, Queen Mary's House, St Leonards School Library

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Library (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 34290

Site Number NO51NW 12

NGR NO 51266 16634

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34290

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 12.00 51266 16634

NO51NW 12.01 5128 1663 Plough-marks

(NO 5128 1663) Queen Mary's (NR)

OS 25" map (1914)

"Queen Mary's House is a three-storied tenement on the southern side of South Street...The main block and the west wing still remain, but they have been so much altered that few features of interest survive..."

The house was built originally in 1523, and considerably reconstructed in the 17th century. It is believed that Queen Mary lived in this house when she visited St Andrews, and that Charles II also did so from the 4th to the 6th July, 1650.

RCAHMS 1933

"Queen Mary's House" is as described and illustrated above. The N front is plain and unpretentious, and the building is in use as the St Leonard's School Library.

Visited by OS (JLD) 17 October 1956

Above confirmed.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 28 May 1964

Architecture Notes

NO51NW 12.00 51266 16634

ARCHITECT: Reginald Fairlie, 1927, restoration as library for St Leonard's School.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions