Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, North Street, St Salvator's College Church

Church (15th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name St Andrews, North Street, St Salvator's College Church

Classification Church (15th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) St Salvator's Chapel; University Chapel; War Memorials

Canmore ID 34288

Site Number NO51NW 10

NGR NO 50997 16844

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34288

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 10 50997 16844

(NO 5099 1684) College Church formerly St Salvator's Chapel (NR)

OS 25" map (1914)

"St Salvator's Church. In 1450, James Kennedy, Bishop of St Andrews, founded the college of St Salvator and also its church. The church, fronting North Street, is all that now remains. The church consists of an oblong choir, with the apsidal eastern end characteristic of the period, and a lofty south-western tower, which served the dual purpose of bell tower and gate house, the principle entrance to the college quadrangle being through its lowest storey". This college, with those of St Leonard (NO51NW 9) and St Mary (NO51NW 8), constituted the University of St Andrews).

RCAHMS 1933

In 1747 the colleges of St Salvator and St Leonard were joined under the name of the United College of St Salvator and St Leonard.

A H Millar 1895

The church of St Salvator's College is in a good state of preservation, and is as described and illustrated.

Visited by OS (JLD) 17 October 1956

Above confirmed. Church is in use as place of worship.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 29 May 1964

Architecture Notes

NO51NW 10 50997 16844

ARCHITECTS:

James Craig, 1773, proposed remodelling

Robert Reid, 1820-31

Robert Matheson, 1851, 1861-3, 1869-70, alts & adds

P MacGregor Chalmers, 1914, proposed alts

Lorimer & Matthew, 1928, re-arrangement of chapel

Reginald Fairlie, 1928, alts & new vestry

Mills & Shepherd, additions

Reginald Fairlie, 1931, restoration and fittings

Reginald Fairlie, 2nd War memorial

NMRS

W Schomberg Scott Manuscripts MS/908 Acc No 1997/39

Pencil drawings, interior.

REFERENCE:

ST ANDREWS UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Plans: UY/1381

For further details see copy of Inventory to St Andrews Vniversity Plans in NMRS

NATIONAL LIBRARY

Uncatalogued MSS of General Hutton. Fifeshire. Vol 1 - plans & elevation

Activities

Photographic Record (1881)

Photographic copy of a painting by Sir George Whitton Johnstone. Sgd & dated (18)81. Oil on canvas.

Sketch Drawing (1900 - 1910)

Dick Peddie and Mackay student drawings.

Photographic Record (1940)

Photographic Record (1940)

Photographic view taken by Cowie.

Photographic Record (1950)

Aerial Photography (15 October 1998)

Photographic Survey (1 March 2003)

Photographic Survey (10 August 2004)

Aerial Photography (8 June 2006)

Photographic Survey (31 July 2007)

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Note (23 June 2014)

A number of War Memorials lie within the church.

A wall, window are war memorials, and two individuals, Lt W D Playfair and Maj J Cook VC. The St Andrews University Book of Rememberance from WW2 is held in the chapel, as are bells restored and dedicated to the Second World War as described on a plaque.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 June 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions