Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Monance, Braehead, St Monance Parish Church And War Memorial

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Priory (Medieval), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name St Monance, Braehead, St Monance Parish Church And War Memorial

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Priory (Medieval), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) St Monance Chapel; St Monans; War Memorial To 2nd Lt H Anstruther

Canmore ID 34204

Site Number NO50SW 18

NGR NO 52265 01443

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34204

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Monance
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO50SW 18.00 52265 01443

(NO 5226 0144) Church formerly St Monan's Chapel (NR)

OS 6" map (1938)

NO50SW 18.01 NO 5211 0152 Spindle Whorl: Lead

NO50SW 18.02 NO 522 015 Field Survey Area; Metal

NO50SW 18.03 NO 52246 01430 Churchyard

NO50SW 399 NO 52596 01822 Hall

The church of St Monan's, erroneously called St Ninian's, was originally founded as a chapel in 1307. In 1471 it was refounded as a house of Dominican friars and in 1476/7 given conventual status. It was dissolved or secularised about 1557. The priory traditionally stood in line with the N wall of the cemetery and further W.

J Turnbull 1896; D E Easson 1957.

The major part of the parish church of St Monan's was probably built in 1362-70. It is described as ruinous in 1519 and 1772, and was completely restored in 1828.

RCAHMS 1933

The church is as described and in use. No structures were located at the traditional site of the priory, which is now occupied by a modern burial ground.

Visited by OS (DWR), 29 May 1974.

Architecture Notes

NO50SW 18.00 52265 01443

Architects:

William Burn 1826 (additions)

Dr Peter McGregor Chalmers (new vestry)

NMRS Print Room

St Monans, Braehead, Parish Church

5 prints - 3 exterior views (2 of them duplicated)

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection

Acc No 1997/39

Reference:

Transactions of the Aberdeen Ecclesiological Society

1891 - 96

'Scots Magazine', February 1807 - 1 engraving with notes

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions