Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Anstruther Wester, Chesterhill

Castle (Medieval), Cist(S) (Period Unassigned), Mound (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Anstruther Wester, Chesterhill

Classification Castle (Medieval), Cist(S) (Period Unassigned), Mound (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 34193

Site Number NO50SE 8

NGR NO 5624 0337

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34193

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Anstruther Wester
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO50SE 8 5624 0337.

The Statistical Account (OSA) describes a large mound, called Chesterhill, at the W end of Anstruther Wester. Wood, stating that it is supposed to be partly artificial, locates it to "near the railway station, on the N side of the road". This may be incorrect, the name "Chesterhill" appearing at NO 5624 0337, S of the road, on OS 6" 1854. The Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB 1854) states that it applied to "two or three houses, situated on a small eminence", and adds that traditionally, there was a "camp" here, but no trace of it now remains. The OSA (1792, J Forester) mentions a fine well in the middle of Chesterhill, and Armitage considers this "absolute proof that this was the site of a castle" adding that the "Mothlaw" of Anstruther is mentioned in 1590 (Reg Magni Sig Reg Scot 1590).

The OSA states that two or three years before 1792, when digging the foundations for a house on the side of Chesterhill, "two skeletons were found not far from each other. They were enclosed in a kind of coffin consisting of a large stone at each end and side."

W Wood 1887; E S Armitage 1912

The site of Chesterhill mound is now built over.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1925

The area indicated is now built over and there is no trace of any artificial work. Nothing further is known of the cists.

Visited by OS (JP) 29 May 1974

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions