Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Anstruther Easter, Shore Street, Market Cross

Market Cross (17th Century)

Site Name Anstruther Easter, Shore Street, Market Cross

Classification Market Cross (17th Century)

Canmore ID 34063

Site Number NO50SE 12

NGR NO 56656 03572

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34063

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Anstruther Easter
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO50SE 12 56656 03572.

(NO 5669 0360) Cross (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1973)

This cross, originally Anstruther Easter Market Cross, stands near the W end of the harbour. It formerly stood in the centre of the street immediately N of its present position (Name Book 1854). Only the shaft is original. It is 8 1/2' high, 14" square in section, with the angles chamfered. It is dated 1677 at the top. There is a shield on each side. Re-erected on stepped base 1875 (SDD List 1962).

Millar notes that permission to erect a market cross was granted by James VI in a charter dated 1587.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1927; A H Millar 1895

The cross is as described.

Visited by OS (JP) 29 May 1974

Activities

Field Visit (23 June 1927)

Burgh Cross, Anstruther Easter.

The town cross stands at the harbour side. Only the shaft is original. It is some 8 ½ feet in height, the section being 14 inches square with angles chamfered. At the top is the date 1677. On each side is a shield, the eastern one now indecipherable, that on the north bearing a thistle, the southern one a fleur-de-lys with an anchor above the shield, and the western one a star.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 23 June 1927.

Photographic Survey (July 1963)

Photographic survey of buildings in Anstruther Easter, Fife, by the Ministry of Work/Scottish National Buildings Record in July 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions