Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balhouffie

Manor House (Medieval)

Site Name Balhouffie

Classification Manor House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 34029

Site Number NO50NE 9

NGR NO 5533 0622

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34029

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Carnbee
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO50NE 9 5533 0622

'Southward of Carnbie is Balhouffie, a good new house...' (c.1710)

R Sibbald 1803.

Balhouffie was united to Grangemuir (22SE/30NE) and the mansion house allowed to fall into ruins about 1802. Balhouffie is mentioned in a charter of 1466. In 1642, it was sold to George Gibson who resided there for some years.

In an Act of Parliament of 1669, mention is made of "the south half of Balhouffie with the manor-place."

W Wood 1887.

The Rev. A Caseby (retired), Balhouffie farm, stated that the former manor-house of Balhouffie was situated at approximately NO 5533 0622, and that a sculptured panel from the house is inserted above the front door of Carvenom farmhouse (NO 548 057). There is now no trace of the manor-house, the site, in an arable field, being under potatoes.

No date or initials were seen on the panel at Carvenom.

Visited by OS (WDJ), 23 August 1968

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions