Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Pitkierie, Dovecot

Dovecot (18th Century)

Site Name West Pitkierie, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Pitkierie, Doocot

Canmore ID 34022

Site Number NO50NE 3

NGR NO 55510 05549

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34022

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kilrenny
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO50NE 3 55510 05549.

(NO 5560 0562) West Pitkierie (NAT)

(NO 5550 0555) Dovecot (NAT)

OS 6" map (1912-38)

"About two miles from Anstruther, on the road to St Andrews, stood the mansion-house of Pitkiery. It is now only a farm house, but the dovecot is still conspicuous. John of Pitkiery is mentioned in the middle of the thirteenth century."

W Wood 1887

Although there are no visible traces of the mansion-house the present occupiers of West Pitkierie believe that the farm-house occupies the site.

The dovecot is a tall, octagonal sided building in a fair condition.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 23 August 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions