Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blackgate

Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible), Cinerary Urn

Site Name Blackgate

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)(Possible), Cinerary Urn

Canmore ID 33830

Site Number NO45SE 8

NGR NO 484 528

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33830

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Rescobie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO45SE 8 484 528.

(NO 4844 5286 and NO 4845 5287) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, Forfarshire and Angus, 2nd ed., (1903)

There is a very large cairn near Pitscandly House; part of it has been removed, to give place to a corn-yard. Two very large stones still stand, marking the limits of the cairn, one at the N, and the other at the S end of it. Warden (1880-85) described the former stone as 6'-7'

x 3' x 1', and the latter, as c. 9' x 5' x 1'. He does not mention any cairn, but adds that two other stones have been removed, and the four, when entire, would have formed a circle.

J Jamieson 1822; A J Warden 1880-85.

When one of the two standing stones at Blackgate was blown over some time ago, a clay urn, containing ashes, was found beneath it. More recently, when part of the artificial mound on which the stones stand was being dug, a small piece of stone was found; it was c. 18" square and incised with two concentric circles and other marks. This fragment is kept at Pitscandly mansion.

A Jervise 1859; J Y Simpson 1868.

Two large, unsculptured, standing stones, 15.5m apart. The one to the SW measures 3.0m x 1.8m x 1.2m, and the other is 2.2m x 0.6m x 1.0m. They are situated on a flat area of rising ground (now a farm-yard), and there is no indication of any artificial mound.

Visited by OS (JLD) 21 August 1958.

Incised fragment not located during thorough search of the grounds of Pitscandly House, and is unknown to the present owners and their gardener who has been there for 35 years.

Information contained in letter from R W B Morris 18 May 1980.

NO 484 528 A watching brief was carried out at Blackgate Smithy stone circle, a Scheduled Ancient Monument, in July 1998. No archaeological features were identified and no finds were recovered. (SUAT FF07).

Sponsor: Mr and Mrs Harding.

R Coleman 1998

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions