Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Battledykes

Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Battledykes

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 33670

Site Number NO45NE 15

NGR NO 4602 5510

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33670

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Oathlaw
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO45NE 15 4602 5510.

(NO 4602 5510) Tumulus (NR) Urns found (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1959)

A large earth and stone mound, presumably that described by Roy (1747-55) as a "tumulus or cairn, composed of loose stones, and placed in such a manner as to render it hollow in the middle, thereby forming a sort of parapet which surrounds it at top". Though Jervise (1853) states that six urns were found in the tumulus NX45NE 13, Mr Carnegie believes the urns came from this site. He adds that c.1827 a Mr Hillocks, the estate factor, found two urns containing ashes when he was digging stones from the mound; it was then planted with trees.

Jamieson (Nichols 1780-90), who calls the mound "Sentry Hillock", adds that a causeway composed of earth and stones juts south from the mound. It is 60yds long 10yds wide, and ends where there has probably been a "Druidical Temple" as there are three large fallen stones at that point. (See also NO45NE 22.)

Name Book 1862; A Jervise 1853; J Nichols (ed.) 1780-90; W Roy 1747-55; Information from Mr Carnegie, Tenant, Battledykes Farm.

A low spread stony mound covered with trees; about 38.0m in diameter by 1.0m high. Its stone content suggests that it has been a cairn.

Visited by OS (JLD) 15 August 1958.

A large cairn situated on a small natural eminence on cultivated land survives on a near circular, tree-covered stony mound 40.0m in diameter and 1.5m in height. It is covered by numerous small field clearance heaps.

There is now no evidence to suggest that it had a hollow centre, nor is there any trace of the causeway or the three stones mentioned by Jamieson (Nichols 1780-90).

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (TRG) 6 January 1977.

This tree-covered cairn has been reduced to a low mound 40m in diameter 'Urns and ashes' were found in it in the 19th century.

W Roy 1747-55; A Jervise 1853; Name Book 1862; RCAHMS 1983.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions