Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Barnyards, Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Barnyards, Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 33665

Site Number NO45NE 10

NGR NO 479 576

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33665

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Tannadice
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO45NE 10 479 576.

(Name: NO 479 570) Castle (NR) (Site of) (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1959)

The site of a castle of the Lindsays, two archways of which remained at the end of the 18th century a little NW of Barnyards farmhouse, which was built from its ruins (Jervise 1853).

Mr Smith, aged more than 70, indicated a spot near the well at the bottom of the farmhouse garden where he remembered ruins standing when he was a boy (ie c.1800).

Mr Fairweather, in digging a hole in 1857, came upon lime-mortared foundations at the published site, but he did not excavate all of them. It was evidently known as Castle of Barnyards.

Name Book 1862; A Jervise 1853; Information from Alexander Smith, pensioner; Information from L Fairweather, Tenant, Barnyards.

There is no trace of this castle in the vicinity of Barnyards Farm nor could the farmer (Mr G K Smith, Barnyards Farm, Kirriemuir) give any indication of its possible site. There are however several large dressed stones set in the walls of the farm buildings and these may have come from the castle ruins as suggested by Jervise (1853).

Visited by OS (TRG) 6 January 1977.

The remains of this castle were removed in the late 18th century; until then 'several of the vaults were standing; and some of the walls, from five to seven feet in height'.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1791-9; Name Book 1853; A Jervise 1882; A J Warden 1880-85; RCAHMS 1984.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions