Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Dundee, St Roque's Lane, Bell Mill

Flax Mill (19th Century)

Site Name Dundee, St Roque's Lane, Bell Mill

Classification Flax Mill (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Princes Street, Lower Dens Mill

Canmore ID 33562

Site Number NO43SW 95

NGR NO 40751 30782

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Architecture Notes

NO43SW 95 40751 30782

See also:

NO43SW 925 NO 40758 30813 Princes Street, North Mill (including Dens Street Mill and St Roque's Mill or Wallace Mill)

NO43SW 927 NO 40779 30766 Constable Street, St Roque's Mill (Wallace Mill)


Dundee, Princes Street, Dens Works.


Lower Dens Works: North Mill

Bell Mill

Dens Mill (Dens Street)

St Roques Mill (Constable Street)

Dundee, Princes Street, Lower Dens Works, Seagate Warehouse.

Architect: Johnston & Baxter c.1871.

Dundee, Princes Street, Dens Works, Nursery.

Architect: T.Lindsay Gray 1949.

Nursery for Baxter Bros. as part of Dens Works.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NO 408 309). Dens Jute Works. Upper Dens Mills consists of a four-storey and attic, 2- by 23-bay rubble building, dating from 1850, with a stair tower surmounted by a bellcote and urn finials, and more modern 3-storey and 3-storey and attic ranges. Lower Dens is a 5-storey and attic, 4- by 5-bay block, with a cast-iron bellcote, built 1865-6 by engineer P Carmichael. Lower Dens is of fireproof jack arch construction with Gothic cast-iron roof-trusses.

J R Hume 1977.


Photographic Survey (27 April 2010)

Photographed by RCAHMS on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions