Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Lady Chapel

Chapel (Medieval)

Site Name Dundee, Lady Chapel

Classification Chapel (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) St Mary's Chapel; Chapel Of Our Lady

Canmore ID 33509

Site Number NO43SW 5

NGR NO 4021 3068

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33509

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 5 4021 3068

See also NO43SW 8.

(NO 4021 3068) Supposed Site of (NAT) St Mary's Chapel (NR)

OS 1:500 plan, Dundee, Forfarshire, (1871)

St Mary's Chapel or the Chapel of Our Lady stood in the vicinity of the Lady Well (NO43SW 8), probably in an adjoining yard (Mackie 1836) The published site is that indicated by David (P David, builder) as being where he recalled the springing of an arch about 4' above what had formerly been the surface of the ground being uncovered during building operations c. 1800

Name Book 1858; Mackie 1836.

The site of the Lady Chapel is now occupied by Wellgate Free Church. The ruins are said to have been extant in 1776 (Millar 1923).

A H Millar 1923; W C Skinner 1927.

Supposed site now built up.

Visited by OS (J L D) 22 April 1958.

Activities

Publication Account (1988)

Chapel of Our Lady. A chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary was certainly in existence by 1491,1 and by January 1565 was waste.2 It may have remained standing in a state of disrepair until after 1600.3

NOTES

2. SRO, GD 137/3890.

3. SRO, GD 137/3953.

Information from ‘Historic Dundee: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1988).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions