Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Victoria Road, Lady Well

Holy Well (Medieval)

Site Name Dundee, Victoria Road, Lady Well

Classification Holy Well (Medieval)

Canmore ID 33475

Site Number NO43SW 19

NGR NO 4026 3070

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33475

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 19 4026 3070.

(NO 4026 3070) Lady Well (NR) (Site of)

OS 1:500 plan, Dundee, Forfarshire, (1871)

"The Well of the Blessed Marie de Dundee", afterwards known as the Lady Well, stood at the W corner of Hilltown and Ladywell Lane; it is referred to specially in a contract between the Constable of Dundee and the burgesses in 1409. The Lady Well was considered the parent source of the water supply of Dundee even so late as 1836, and it remained in use until the construction of Victoria Road in 1872 necessitated its removal.

A C Lamb 1895.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions