Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pitkerro House

Country House (16th Century), Garden Wall(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Pitkerro House

Classification Country House (16th Century), Garden Wall(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 33449

Site Number NO43SE 6

NGR NO 45325 33719

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33449

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SE 6.00 45325 33719

NO43SE 6.01 45309 33429 Pitkerro Lodge.

NO43SE 6.02 45325 33740 Stables

NO43SE 6.03 45374 33766 Cottage ( Former Battery House)

NO43SE 6.04 45394 33613 Dovecot

(NO 4533 3370) Pitkerro House (NAT)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

Pitkerro Castle, built by the Durham family in the mid-16th century is a long narrow building c. 80' x 22'6" with a round stair-tower on the south front. The building has been considerably modernised and added to. D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

Pitkerro House (information from Dr A T MacQueen, occupier) is a well-preserved, harled mansion whose southern wing is 16th century the door lintel in the tower bearing the date 1593. The remainder of the house is modern.

Visited by OS (J L D) 15 May 1958.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Sir Robert Lorimer. Restored. 1902-4.

LOR/PITKERRO/1: Ground Floor Plan for publication.

Ink on tracing.

s: Robert Lorimer.

d: 1908

/2: F.S. Design for Sundial.

s: Robert Lorimer.

d: May 1903(05?)

Pencil and watercolour on cartridge. (fragment).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions