Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Ethiebeaton

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 33424

Site Number NO43SE 36

NGR NO 479 342

NGR Description NO c. 479 342

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Monifieth (Angus)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SE 36 c. 479 342.

A castle, traditionally connected with Cardinal Beaton, used to stand at Ethiebeaton (NO 479 342). A private chapel called 'Chapel Dockie' (NO43SE 2) is said to have been attached to it.

NSA 1845; A J Warden 1880-5.

Architecture Notes


Dundee District Council Archives and Records Centre

GD/X9 Ethiebeaton Estate


Title of map torn

Roads and quarries on and near Ethiebeaton estate, n.d., c.1800

(Shows larnds of Ethiebeaton, part of lands of South Grange, part of lands of Ardownie, and field names)

Ink and watercolour on paper

51" x 21": 3 Scotch chains to 1 inch

1 map; fragile-


'Ethiebeaton Farm Steading The Property of Robert Arklay Ferguson Esquire', 10 Feb 1893

Architect: J. Murray Robertson

60" x 27.5" 8 feet to 1 inch

1 plan


'Plan of ground fueud by The Monifieth Free Chuch Congregation from Robt. Arklay Esqr. Ethiebeaton', 15 May 1850

Architect: Wim. Paterson

Ink and watercolour on paper

23.5" x 18.5" 15 feet to 1 inch

1 plan; fragile


Watching Brief (28 February 2013)

NO 479 342 A watching brief was carried out on 28 February 2013 during the stripping of ploughsoil down to natural subsoil on the site of three new wind turbines. No archaeological finds or features were recorded.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Mr David Reid

Derek Hall, 2013

(Source: DES)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions