Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Monifieth Grange

Country House (17th Century), Gate Pier(S) (17th Century) (1650), Grange (Medieval), House (19th Century) (1829)

Site Name Monifieth Grange

Classification Country House (17th Century), Gate Pier(S) (17th Century) (1650), Grange (Medieval), House (19th Century) (1829)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Of Grange; Grange Of Monifieth

Canmore ID 33414

Site Number NO43SE 27

NGR NO 4892 3294

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Monifieth (Angus)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SE 27 4892 3294.

(NO 4892 3294) Grange of Monifieth was a grange of Arbroath Abbey until 1322 when it came into the possession of the Durham family who erected a castellated mansion on the site, possibly in the 17th century since a stone bearing 1610 with the Durham arms is built into the E wall of the lodge at NO 4884 3284.

A gateway at NO 4893 3285 is associated with the Marquis of Montrose in 1650.

The 'Castle of Grange' was demolished in 1829 and a modern house was built on or near the site in 1879; workmen at the time are said to have uncovered the foundation of the former building a little W of the present one.

A J Warden 1880-5; D Macrae 1888; J Malcolm 1910; Monifieth Town Council nd.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions