Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tealing Parish Church And Churchyard

Church (19th Century), Churchyard (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tealing Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Church (19th Century), Churchyard (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 33389

Site Number NO43NW 9

NGR NO 40350 37943

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33389

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Tealing
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Summary Record (7 July 2011)

Box church with small bellcote and attached porch entrance. The church dates from 1806, but is built on the site of the earlier medieval church.

The church is sealed and maintained by the local authority after it closed to regular services and efforts to open it as a heritage centre failed.

Information from RCAHMS (CJS) 7 July 2011

Archaeology Notes

NO43NW 9.00 40350 37943

(NO 4035 3794) Church (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1971).

NO43NW 9.01 NO 40348 37956 Hearse House

NO43NW 9.02 Pictish Symbol Stone

See also NO43SW 91.04.

The 1806 parish church built on the site of its predecessor and incorporating early carved stones in its walls.

The church was founded by St. Boniface in the 7th century and was dedicated to St. Peter. It is not positive that the early church stood on this site but the finding of a Class II symbol stone in the church wall would suggest this.

The church appears on record in the 12th and 13th century and a graveslab bearing the date 1380 was found in the walls of the old church when it was demolished in 1806.

A J Warden 1880-5; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; A Hutcheson 1911.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Tealing, Tealing Parish Church.

Large marble mural monument on South wall (interior) commemorating Patrick Scrymsoure, Esq, of Tealing b. 27 March 1815 aet. 66. Sarcophagus signed 'Campbell Sculp. Edinr'.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office:

Erection of a Monument in Tealing Churchyard. Letter from the Architect, C Edward to Mrs Fothringham. He enclosed accounts amounting to #106.

Architects: Edward and Robertson.

Sculptor: John Rhind. (1828-1892).

1867-68 GD 121/3/291

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Site Management (13 December 1991)

Plain rectangular-plan aisleless hall-church. Rubble built, ashlar dressings, harled at E gable, grey slate roof. Square-headed margined windows, timber top-hopper frames with small rectangular leaded panes. Coped skews with skew blocks.

Conveyed by Church of Scotland General Trustees to the Tealing Kirk Heritage Centre in 1986. The first church at Tealing was probably established by St Boniface in the late 7th century although the exact site is not known. The Rev John Glas, founder of the Glasite Sect was minister of Tealing 1719-28 and promulgated his secterian teaching here. The present building, although severely plain is of great interest on account of the various sculpted stones incorporated within the fabric, the prime factor for its Category A listing. The tombstone of Ingram of Kethenys is particularly rare, it being (according to Jervise) on of the oldest inscriptions in the Scottish vernacular. The memorial to John Ramsay is also a notable Renaissance style monument. The memorial slab to the Scrymsoure Fothringhams was made by Alexander Macdonald, Field and Co, for the architects Charles Edward and Thomas Saunders Robertson, 1867. There are various hinges and hooks affixed to the external walls adjacent to the windows suggesting that there were once shutters. Central heating was first installed by Alexander Johnston in 1895. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

Activities

Field Visit (8 May 1958)

The carved stones are now preserved within the porch and the nave of the church.

Visited by OS (J L D) 8 May 1958.

Photographic Survey (27 April 2011)

Photographed for the Listed Buildings Area Survey.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions