Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gagie, Gagie House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Gagie, Gagie House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 33363

Site Number NO43NW 21

NGR NO 44928 37583

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33363

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Murroes (Angus)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Listed Buildings Area Survey (10 February 2012)

Early C17 two storey tower house, with later C18 additions, both single and two storey. C19 exterior florishes and interior remodelling carried out post a fire in the 1890's by James McLaren, 1893-4. Some exterior additions, including harled semi-octagonal boiler house extension made by owner, architect France Smoor, late 1970's. Some interior alterations carried out post a fire in 1980.

RCAHMS (CAJS)

Archaeology Notes

NO43NW 21.00 44928 37583

NO43NW 21.01 NO 44940 37564 Summer-House

NO43NW 21.02 NO 44852 37588 Coach-House and Stable Block/Grange of Gagie

NO43NW 21.03 NO 44909 37546 Sundial and Walled Garden

NO43NW 21.04 NO 44861 37477 Gatepiers

(NO 4493 3759) Gagie House (NR)

OS 6" map, (1971)

A small early 17th century mansion, much added to and altered. Its plan now approximates to the letter 'T' with the original portion forming the leg - a small oblong house of two storeys, harled and whitewashed with two long angle-turrets on the S gable.

The property was acquired by the Guthries in 1610 and their arms appeared over the old entrance. They also appear with the date 1614 on a summer house, built in 1762, in the old walled garden.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; N Tranter 1962-70.

Gagie House was build in 1602 (information from Mrs A Hendry, owner).

Visited by OS (J L D) 12 May 1958.

Activities

Photographic Survey (5 June 2011 - 6 June 2011)

Photographed for the Listed Buildings Area Survey, Angus record upgrade.

Interior photographs held on restricted access.

RCAHMS (CAJS).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions