Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Motherwell, Whamond Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (Second World War), Drill Hall (First World War)

Site Name Motherwell, Whamond Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (Second World War), Drill Hall (First World War)

Canmore ID 333027

Site Number NS75NE 206

NGR NS 75378 56287

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/333027

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Dalziel
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Motherwell
  • Former County Lanarkshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (25 October 2013)

A large drill hall is marked on the 3rd epoch OS map and Osborne (2006) notes that it was in use from 1910 until at least 1958. It comprised a drill hall, armoury, indoor range and Instructor's house. In 1914 it was was drill station for 2nd Field Company, Lowland Divisional Royal Engineers, base for "G" and "H" Companies, 6th battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), and base for the Lowland Divisional Supply & Transport Column, Army Service Corps.

The building has been demolished.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 25 October 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions