Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Greendyke Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Greendyke Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 333020

Site Number NS56SE 2282

NGR NS 59773 64544

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/333020

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (25 October 2013)

The drill hall appears on the 2nd and 3rd epoch maps. Osborne (2006) records it as being, in 1914, the HQ of 9th battalion, Highland Light Infantry, and base for "A" to "H" Companies. The HQ was moved to Walcheren Barracks, Maryhill in 1935, when the drill hall was demolished.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 25 October 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions