Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Airdit House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Airdit House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Ardit House; Airdit Castle

Canmore ID 33241

Site Number NO42SW 12

NGR NO 4124 2003

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33241

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Leuchars
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO42SW 12 4124 2003.

(Symbol at NO 4124 2003) Airdit (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

Though the Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB 1854) states nothing now remains, the New Statistical Account (NSA) described ruins of an old mansion of castellated form at this site. Baird, visiting the site in 1952, found stones 6" below the surface in the cottage garden, and also traces of a lined wall in the field below. The cottage garden is in part an artificial terrace, banked up behind a retaining wall made of loose stones, obviously taken from the house. Most of the stones, some moulded, are said to have been used to build Cuplahills Farm (NO 4150 2045).

It is mentioned in a charter of 1240, and formed part of the possessions of the Earls of Fife in this locality, but reverted to the crown in 1425 on the forfeiture of Murdoch, Duke of Albany. The estate was subdivided and held by different families during the two subdivided and held by different families during the two succeeding centuries.

NSA 1845 (D Watson); A H Millar 1895; D C Baird MS, 23 February 1952.

No traces of this building exist here.

Visited by OS (JLD) 23 October 1956.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions