Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Queensferry, Butlaw Naval Hospital

Hospital (First World War)

Site Name South Queensferry, Butlaw Naval Hospital

Classification Hospital (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) The Queen Mary And Princess Christian Emergency Naval Hospital

Canmore ID 332366

Site Number NT17NW 319

NGR NT 11067 78662

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/332366

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Abercorn (West Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (12 September 2013)

A naval hospital just to the south-west of Port Edgar naval base was in operation during the First World War, and casualties were landed here from the Battle of Jutland. The hospital is marked on the 2nd epoch 1:2500 OS map, surveyed in 1914 and published in 1916.

The Naval Hospital was moved to occupy the Port Edgar Barracks early in the Second World War.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 12 September 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions