Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Portree, Park Road, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Local Government Office (Modern)

Site Name Skye, Portree, Park Road, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), Local Government Office (Modern)

Alternative Name(s) Council Offices

Canmore ID 331795

Site Number NG44SE 135

NGR NG 48114 43704

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/331795

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Portree
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (19 July 2013)

The Portree drill hall was built before the First World War, but after the 2nd edition 1:2500 map was surveyed in 1901. The imposing three-storey, six-bay block survives, now remodelled as council offices with a large extension to the rear.

In 1914 it was drill station for "C" Squadron, 1st Lovat's Scouts and base for "H" Company, 4th battalion Cameron Highlanders.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 19 July 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions