Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dingwall, Ferry Road, Drill Hall, War Memorial

Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Dingwall, Ferry Road, Drill Hall, War Memorial

Classification Drill Hall (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ta Centre; Seaforth Highlanders War Memorial

Canmore ID 331789

Site Number NH55NE 195

NGR NH 55682 58577

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/331789

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Dingwall
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (18 July 2013)

The Ferry Road drill hall is locally known as the Seaforth Barracks. It was built after the 2nd edition 1:2500 map of the area, just east of the hospital. The hall, with verandah, a two-storey orderly-room block and a possibly later two-storey block form an open quadrangle. Other buildings of various dates lie in the wider compound and on the other side of the road, which is still in use as an Territorial Army centre.

In 1914 the hall was base for "C" sub-section, Ammunition Column, 4th Highland Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery, Mountain, and HQ and "B" Company 4th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 18 July 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions