Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tayport, West Common, West Lighthouse And 7 West Lights

Cottage (19th Century), Lighthouse (19th Century)

Site Name Tayport, West Common, West Lighthouse And 7 West Lights

Classification Cottage (19th Century), Lighthouse (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dalgleish Street

Canmore ID 33164

Site Number NO42NW 57

NGR NO 44683 29322

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Ferry-port-on-craig
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO42NW 57 4467 2932

Stone construction painted white tile (?) masonary.

Cottages, 7&8 west lights, Tayport.

Site recorded by Maritime Fife during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, Fife Ness to Newburgh 1996

Architecture Notes

NO42NW 57 44683 29322

NO42NW 179 44670 29320 8 West Lights

(Location cited as NT 447 293). West Lighthouse, built 1823 and later. Tall circular tower.

J R Hume 1976.


Construction (1823)

Constructed by Robert Stevenson in 1823.

J Gifford 1988

Publication Account (2013)



West taller ligthouse is a 24m/77ft high tower whitewashed as a day mark. Now privately owned (along with adjoining cottages). Along with the East or Low Tayport Lighthouse, with which it was lined up with the navigation channel, it was designed by Robert Stevenson. Built by Dundee's own Trinity House in 1823.

M Watson, 2013


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions