Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Grangemouth, Talbot Street, Drill Hall

Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century)

Site Name Grangemouth, Talbot Street, Drill Hall

Classification Drill Hall (First World War), Drill Hall (20th Century)

Canmore ID 331539

Site Number NS98SW 99

NGR NS 92713 81923

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/331539

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Grangemouth
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (28 June 2013)

The Talbot Street drill hall was built in 1887 and appears on the 2nd and 3rd edition OS 1:2500 maps, apparently having been extended on the latter. The hall had an elaborate symmetrical eight-bay, two-storey front block with an elaborate central pediment, surmounted by a fireclay statue of a classical female petting a small dog, identified as Fidelity, now in the collection of Falkirk Museum. The statue is stamped "Grangemouth Coal & Fireclay Co. G B S Rowland". There were urns at the corners.

In 1914 the hall was the drill station for 3 [Gordon Brigade] Company, Highland Division Transport & Supply Column Army Service Corps. The hall became the HQ of the docker's battalion and was demolished in 1994.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 28 June 2013.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions