Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Craighall Castle

House (Period Unassigned), Tower (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Craighall Castle

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Tower (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 33017

Site Number NO41SW 10

NGR NO 4077 1065

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33017

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Ceres
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO41SW 10 4077 1065 to 4066 1062.

(NO 4077 1065) Craighall Castle (NR) (In Ruins)

(NO 4066 1062) Tower (NR)

OS 6" map (1920)

The Renaissance front of Craighall bears the date '1691'.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

A charter dated 1507 by Andrew Kinninmond was signed at Craighall and the lands and house of Craighall were held by that family until sold to Sir Thomas Hope who built the present mansion in 1637, incorporating the older tower. The gate-tower to the SW bears the date '1637'.

A H Millar 1895

Craighall Castle. "This house has been built in at least two periods. The plan in its first stage, in the early 17th century, seems to have included a long, oblong main block, with a small projecting wing set almost midway on the north, and two symmetrical wings projecting southwards from the southern ends.

In the last decade of the century the recessed front was partly infilled with a screen having a tower to match the existing stair-tower which was then remodelled. In the pediment of the screen is a panel bearing the date '1697'.

The entrance has passed through a gate-tower which in two places is dated '1657' but which has subsequently been modified. This entrance lies among the farm-buildings, some of which date from the 17th century.

RCAHMS 1933

The tower was removed after the old granary was burnt down about 1954. The castle is likely to be demolished shortly owing to its dangerous condition (G Balfour, owner, Craighall).

The remains of Craighall Castle are as described above, except that part of the W tower has now fallen. The earlier parts of the building are of rubble masonry, barrel-vaulted, the walls being between 1.0m and 1.3m thick. No trace remains of the gate-tower, and a modern barn covers the site, but part of an old wall, 10.0m long by about 3.5m high and 1.0m thick, remains inside the barn, running N from the site of the tower. Visited by OS (DS) 18 October 1956

Craighall Castle has now been demolished and most of the stones removed. One portion of stone walling remains on the E side. The rest of the site consists of loose masses of masonry and stones covered by grass and rank undergrowth.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (WDJ) 27 May 1964

No change.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 29 March 1967

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Dates: 1697

Renaissance front

Permission given to demolish this Category B Listed building between 1955-1957. Information taken from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY:

S.M.Y Magazine, September 1950 - photograph

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions