Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Upper Largo, Largo Parish Church And Churchyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Upper Largo, Largo Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 32669

Site Number NO40SW 11

NGR NO 42369 03485

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32669

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Largo
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO40SW 11 42369 03485

(NO 4236 0349) Ch (NAT)

RCAHMS 1933

For Pictish cross-slab set up in the grounds, see NO40SW 2.

The Church of Largo or Largauch was presented to the nuns of North Berwick, in 1160 and was re-dedicated in 1243. In a charter of 1502, Sir John Lindsay of that ilk mentions specially "the new aisle contigous to the Parish Church of Largo, and it is possible that this was the aisle belonging to the old building that was taken into the new building when alterations were made in 1826, although it is stated that no part of the present structure is of very ancient date. The spire was built in 1628 and the church restored in 1817 and 1826 and again in 1894.

A H Millar 1895.

The Parish church is mainly modern, but the chancel and tower date from the 17th century, the tower being dated 1628 and the chancel 1623.

RCAHMS 1933.

The church is still in use as a place of worship.

Visited by OS (EGC), 16 October 1962.

A test pit was dug within the N transept of the church to find a suitable location for the erection of the Pictish stone (NO40SW 2) that is currently in the churchyard. A large brick-lined burial vault was broken into once the modern floor surfaces had been revealed. This is close to the supposed location of the family burial vault of Sir Andrew Wood, the 16th-century Admiral of the Scottish Fleet.

Sponsor: Fife Regional Council.

P Yeoman 1993.

Site recorded during an evaluation survey undertaken of the cemeteries and burial grounds in the Fife area, to include the archaeological and historical standing of the monuments therein.

Largo churchyard (Largo parish)

NO 4236 0349 47 memorials recorded.

Sponsors: Russell Trust, Fife Council Archaeology Unit, Fife Council Community Grant Scheme, Marc Fitch Fund.

S Farrell 1998.

Architecture Notes

NO40SW 11 42369 03485

INFORMATION TAKEN FROM THE ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE

ARCHITECT: 1817 reconst. by Alex. Leslie.

restoration by John Honeyman & Keppie, 1894 (?)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions