Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balnaboth House

Country House (19th Century), Garden (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (16th Century), Landscape (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Balnaboth House

Classification Country House (19th Century), Garden (Period Unassigned), Lairds House (16th Century), Landscape (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 32409

Site Number NO36NW 2

NGR NO 31480 66895

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32409

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Cortachy And Clova
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Summary Record (17 September 2011 - 26 February 2015)

Balnaboth is a laird's house formed from several separate houses in 1824, some dating from the 16th century. It lies between the 250 and 260 metre contour lines to the north of the Prosen Water and to the east of the Burn of Glenlogie. The main drive is the continuation of the unnumbered public road which terminates in Glen Prosen village. The house is set in wooded policies with a large lawned area to the south of the house. The double walled garden lies to the south-west of the lawned area, overlooking the Prosen Water.

Information from the Angus Recording Group of the Garden History Society in Scotland, 2015

Archaeology Notes

NO36NW 2.00 31480 66895 Balnaboth House

NO36NW 2.01 32688 65966 Lodge

NO36NW 2.02 31375 66729 Sundial

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: R. & R. Dixon (plans for new house dated 1820).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions