Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carlinwell

Cremation(S) (Bronze Age), Standing Stone (Prehistoric), Cinerary Urn(S) (Bronze Age)

Site Name Carlinwell

Classification Cremation(S) (Bronze Age), Standing Stone (Prehistoric), Cinerary Urn(S) (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Cairnwell

Canmore ID 32362

Site Number NO35SW 22

NGR NO 32084 50249

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32362

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Airlie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO35SW 22 3208 5025.

(NO 3208 5025) Standing Stone (NR).

OS 6" map, Forfarshire and Angus, 2nd ed., (1926)

A standing stone under which human remains were found at the end of the 18th century. Traditionally, a battle was fought here, the leaders being buried under the stone. The farm name Baitland, is supposed to be a corruption of "Battleland".

A Jervise 1865.

This unsculptured standing stone is slab-like in appearance, and measures 2.0m high, by 1.1m by 0.5m. It is situated on the crest of a knoll.

Visited by OS (JLD) 17 September 1958.

As described in the report of 17 September 1958.

Surveyed at 1:2500

Visited by OS (TRG) 12 January 1977.

Activities

Field Visit (8 August 1942)

Standing Stone, E of [?Baitland], in a cornfield a few feet S of the main Rattray-Kirriemuir road on the crest of a low ridge.

Visited by RCAHMS (VG Childe) 8 August 1942.

Note (1983)

Carlinwell NO 320 502 NO35SW 22

Situated on the crest of a knoll (79m OD), this standing stone is 2m high. At the end of the 18th century human remains were found at its base.

RCAHMS 1983

(Name Book, Forfar, No. 2, p. 27; Jervise 1864, 348-9).

Excavation (7 March 2011 - 11 March 2011)

NO 3208 5025 The scheduled ancient monument of Carlinwell Standing stone fell over in January 2010. A programme of work was undertaken 7–11 March 2011 to investigate the socket and reinstate the stone. The excavation of a 2 x 2m trench, centred on the socket, revealed two pits containing inverted Collared Urns with cremations. The socket of the stone was oval in plan, 0.8 x 1.1m, with a re-cut on its S side, which contained large packing stones. The stone had a significant lean to the S and the re-cut and packing may have represented an attempt to stop the stone from toppling. One of the packing stones had damaged one of the Collared Urns.

Archive: Angus Council SMR and RCAHMS

Funder: Historic Scotland

CFA Archaeology Ltd, 2011

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions