Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Reedie

Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Reedie

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 32306

Site Number NO35SE 23

NGR NO 3508 5276

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32306

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Airlie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO35SE 23 3508 5276.

Crawford (1949), having perambulated Lendrick Bank Wood and found nothing, suggests that the earthen tumulus surrounded by a circular ditch, located by the NSA (1845) to the old firwood of Lendrick, is at NO 3508 5275 where there is a circular mound on the moorland on high ground NE of Lindertis. No ditch, however is visible around it.

Locally, it is believed to have been a court or law hill, while St Joseph suggests that it may possibly be a Roman signal station, and therefore a clue to the Roman road.

NSA 1845; O G S Crawford 1949.

This feature is a spread, stony mound, c. 26.0m in diameter and 1.2m high. It is situated on the summit of slightly rising ground amid thick heather. The perimeter is vague, but the protruding stone suggest it is possibly a cairn.

Visited by OS (JLD) 15 September 1958.

NO 3508 5276. This mound is now ill-defined and extensively mutilated by former tree planting. It is approx 20.0m in diameter, up to 1.2m high and composed of small stones; there is no trace of a kerb or any definable features.

It would appear to represent the disturbed remains of a cairn but as St Joseph suggests it could also have been the site of a beacon.

Its ideal position, having a full 360 panorama supports this hypothesis; however, it cannot be substantiated.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (TRG) 7 January 1977.

This cairn is situated about 400m WSW of the cairn NO35SE 17 and measures 20m in diameter by 1.2m in height.

O G S Crawford 1949; RCAHMS 1983

Activities

Field Visit (4 September 1956)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions