Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirriemuir

Cross Slab (Pictish), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Kirriemuir

Classification Cross Slab (Pictish), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Kirriemuir No.2

Canmore ID 32300

Site Number NO35SE 20.02

NGR NO 3895 5448

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32300

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Kirriemuir
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Kirriemuir 2 (St Mary), Angus, Pictish cross-slab

Measurements: H 1.15m, W 0.51m tapering downwards to 0.59m, D 0.11m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NO 3895 5448

Present location: Meffan Museum and Gallery, Forfar

Evidence for discovery: found re-used in the foundations of the old parish church when it was demolished in 1787 and taken to the new cemetery.

Present condition: some flaking but otherwise intact, though weathered.

Description

This slab is carved in relief within plain flat-band mouldings on all five dressed faces. Face A bears a cross with squared terminals and circular armpits, outlined by roll moulding. It is filled with diagonal key pattern, apart from a panel at the foot of the shaft which contains two affronted quadrupeds with their forefeet in each other’s mouth and the hind legs entwined. Either side of the upper arm of the cross is a kneeling angel. To the left of the shaft is a warrior in plus-four type trousers and draped plaid-like upper garment, carrying a square shield and a spear. The shield is very small and likely to be a fist shield or buckler for close combat (Ritchie 1969, 39). To the right of the shaft of the cross is a bird of prey and a slaughtered deer above three hounds. Face B bears traces of diagonal pattern.

Face C has a single panel enclosed by wide flat-band mouldings. A clumsily drawn double-disc and Z-rod is in the top left corner, beside a warrior on horseback riding to the right. He is armed with shield and spear and is wearing an elaborately draped garment and sitting on a striped saddlecloth. His horse is walking, but beneath him another horse is at full pelt, engaged in hunting a stag with the help of a hound. Face D is carved with diagonal key pattern, and face E, which is very worn, appears to be carved with a fine interlace.

Date range: eighth or ninth century.

Primary references: Ritchie 1969; RCAHMS 2003; Fraser 2008, no 65.2.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2018

Activities

Reference (1997)

NO35SE 20.2 3895 5448.

J Patrick Findlay 1925 (see Archive List SAS/49).

Class II symbol stone.

Kirriemuir 2 . On the face a cross with angels and a hunting scene with a figure, two deer,a bird and two hounds. On the reverse are a mounted figure beside a double-disc and Z-rod and above another mounted figure hunting a stag with a hound.

A Mack 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions