Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Claverhouse Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Claverhouse Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Hatton Of Ogilvie

Canmore ID 32147

Site Number NO34SE 3

NGR NO 3803 4417

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32147

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Glamis
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO34SE 3 3803 4417.

(NO 3803 4417) Claverhouse Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1959)

This castle once was a place of considerable strength, having a moat and drawbridge, but its last remains were pulled down c 1826 (Name Book 1861). It belonged to the Ogilvies in the 14th century, and the castle, mentioned in the 17th century, was later owned by Graham of Claverhouse.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Name Book 1861; A J Warden 1882.

There are now no traces of this castle. The farmer states that stones from the castle are often turned up by the plough at the published site.

Visited by OS (W D J) 7 January 1970.

Claverhouse Castle stood 200m SW of Hatton of Ogilvie; its remains were removed about 1826.

NSA 1845; Name Book 1861; A J Warden 1880; RCAHMS 1984.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Sydney Boyd 24 November 1984:

Claverhoues Castle, Glen Ogilvie, Parish of Glamis, Angus

This castle, no longer in existence, may have been built by the Ogilvies. Survey 859, Register House (Sir Alexander Frederick Douglas Home) has (p. 91): Charter by David Ogilvie to his nephew and heir Alexander Ogilvie of the barony of Ogilvie, 26 October 1495.

William Graham of Claverhouse (in the parish of Mains, Angus), knighted in 1633, purchased Glenogilvie, which henceforward was probably his home (C.S. Terry, John Graham of Claverhouse, 1905). His great grandson, John Graham of Claverhouse (later Viscount Dundee) was, for his "good and faithfull services" granted a charter by Charles II on 11 May 1680 of "all and haill the land and baronie of Ogilvie commonly called the Glen of Ogilvie with the mannor place tower fortalice houses biggings yairds orchyairds ......" (Acta Parliamentorium Caroli II AD 1681.)

Ochterlony of Guynd, a neighbour and contemporary of Claverhouse, described the property as "a pleasant place, a good house, and well planted" (Warden, Angus or Forfarshire, vol. ii, p. 257).

Upon Dundee's death at Killiecrankie (27th July 1689) his title and estates devolved upon his son James. James died in November or December 1689 and was succeeeded by his uncle, David Graham, on whom sentence of forfeiture was pronounced on 14th July 1690. The Claverhouse properties were bestowed on the Marquis of Douglas (C.S. Terry, John Graham of Claverhouse). After the death of the third Marquis and first Duke of Douglas the property passed to his nephew Archibald (later Lord Douglas), the victor of the "Douglas cause" and later to the Earls of Home through his granddaughter's marriage to the 11th Earl.

About 1857 the site of the castle was pointed out to an Ordnance Survey investigator, who was informed that its last remnants had been pulled down about 35 years earlier (O.S. name-books no. 45 West Register House). The O.S. map of 1860 shows the site of the castle.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions