Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mains Of Rochelhill

Farmhouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mains Of Rochelhill

Classification Farmhouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Strathmore Estate

Canmore ID 32069

Site Number NO34NE 21

NGR NO 37514 45179

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32069

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Glamis
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Architecture Notes

NO34NE 21.00 37514 45179

NO34NE 21.01 37502 45142 Dovecot

In medieval times Rochelhill belonged to the Ogilvy family. Traces of their occupation are left in or near the old manor house of the property, now known as the Mains of Rochelhill (NO 374 451). An exceptionally fine dovecot still stands; an armorial stone, dated 1565, formerly above its lintel, is now placed near the door of the Mains.

J Stirton 1913.

The west end of the Mains of Rochelhill farmhouse, at NO 3750 4516, is an old single-storeyed unpretentious building with the date '1710' on a window lintel. The building does not appear to be earlier than this.

NO 3750 4514. A small, square, typical 16th - 17th century dovecot with lean-to roof and string-course, in good condition. The armorial stone dated '1565' has been replaced above the door in the S wall.

Visited by OS (W D J) 16 December 1969.

The farmhouse of Mains of Rochelhill, which bears the date 1710 on a window-lintel, may stand on or near the site of an earlier house of the Ogilvys. A heraldic panel upon which the Ogilvy arms and the date 1565 are carved in relief is incorporated in a dovecot which stands adjacent to the farm.

J Stirton 1913; RCAMS 1984.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions