Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cossans

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Cossans

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 32059

Site Number NO34NE 13

NGR NO 3919 4982

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32059

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Glamis
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO34NE 13 3919 4982.

(NO 3919 4982) Cossans Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Angus, (1927)

An elevated mound is all that remains to mark the site of Cossans Castle. Mr R Taylor (from Cossans) states that his father removed the last stones of the castle to build the neighbouring farmhouse. He also states that there was a ditch and drawbridge around it (Name Book 1861). Cossans was acquired by the Lyons in the 15th century, and the mansion is next mentioned in 1667. A date stone '1627', built over the door of the farmhouse at Cossans, probably came from the old castle (A J Warden 1880-5).

Name Book 1861; A J Warden 1880-5.

There is now no trace of Cossans Castle or the mound on which it stood.

Visited by OS (W D J) 8 December 1967.

The remains of this castle were removed in the 19th century: it is said to have been surrounded by a ditch. In 1861 the site, immediately W of the present house of Cossans, was indicated by an elevated mound, and a datestone of 1627 incorporated in the modern house may have come from the castle.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Name Book 1861; A J Warden 1880-85; RCAHMS 1984.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions