Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fowlis Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Fowlis Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 32053

Site Number NO33SW 8

NGR NO 32148 33334

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Fowlis Easter (Angus)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO33SW 8 32148 33334.

(NO 3215 3333) Fowlis Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, Forfarshire, 2nd ed., (1926)

Fowlis Easter Castle, of 17th century date, occupies part of the site of a much older structure, of which some remains still exist. From a plan of 1696, this earlier castle consisted of a large courtyard with a strong outer wall defended by towers, and having a portcullis gateway with a pointed arch.

The existing structure is called the "Lady's Tower" and measures 40'6" x 25'; it is 4 storeys in height. A modern wing has been added to the N side.

It is a simple structure, with a projecting chimney, round staircase turret and two dormer windows (restored). The entrance is in the E gable. The doorway into the staircase and the upper part of the stair turret are modern.

A carved stone dated 1640 is built into an adjoining modern house; it was probably taken from the castle, and presumably denotes the date of its erection.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

In 1448, James I dated a charter at Fowlis. James IV resided there in 1497. The castle was occupied by the Grays until after the erection of the mansion. It fell into decay, and stood long in ruins; it was rebuilt a few years ago and is now the bothy of a few farm workers.

A J Warden 1880-5.

Fowlis Castle - name confirmed (information from Miss Steele, tenant, Fowlis Castle), occupied and in good condition, is as described. A datestone '1862' in the W wall would seem to indicate the date of restoration and additions.

No structural evidence of an earlier castle was noted.

Visited by OS (J L D) 18 April 1958.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions