Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Methven Street, Camperdown Works, General

Flax Mill (19-20th Century), Jute Works (19-20th Century)

Site Name Dundee, Methven Street, Camperdown Works, General

Classification Flax Mill (19-20th Century), Jute Works (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Camperdown Linen Works; Upper Factory; Lower Factory

Canmore ID 31971

Site Number NO33SE 64

NGR NO 3808 3168

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31971

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO33SE 64.00 3808 3168

NO33SE 64.01 NO 38171 31487 Jute warehouse 5

NO33SE 64.02 NO 38188 31500 Railway bridge (Wellbank Lane)

NO33SE 64.03 NO 38072 31610 High Mill (Sliver Mill)

NO33SE 64.04 NO 38282 31636 Cox's Stack (Methven St)

NO33SE 64.05 NO 3797 3170 Calender Block (Methven St)

NO33SE 64.06 NO 38012 31656 Offices, Lodge and Gate (Methven St)

NO33SE 64.07 NO 38218 31605 Boiler House

NO33SE 64.08 NO 38155 31568 Jute warehouse 1

NO33SE 64.09 NO 3813 3176 'C' Range

NO33SE 64.10 NO 3820 3174 Foundry

NO33SE 64.11 NO 3799 3176 Stables

NO33SE 64.12 NO 3811 3158 Batching House

NO33SE 64.13 NO 3824 3171 Pattern Store

NO33SE 64.14 NO 3804 3157 Hackling House

NO33SE 64.15 NO 3824 3153 Warehouses 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

NO33SE 64.16 NO 3831 3167 Warehouse 23

NO33SE 64.17 NO 3799 3160 Canteen (Former Yarn Warehouse)

NO33SE 64.18 NO 3828 3162 Tar-House

NO33SE 64.19 NO 3811 3158 Bleaching & Dyeworks

NO33SE 64.20 NO 38160 31544 Jute Warehouse 3

NO33SE 64.21 NO 38165 31524 Jute Warehouse 4

NO33SE 64.22 NO 38176 31477 Jute Warehouse 6

NO33SE 64.23 NO 38182 31466 Jute Warehouse 7

NO33SE 64.24 NO 38189 31449 Jute Warehouse 8

NO33SE 64.25 NO 38194 31437 Jute Warehouse 9

NO33SE 64.26 NO 38201 31423 Jute Warehouse 10

(Location cited as NO 383 317). Camperdown Works, Built 1861-8, engineer G A Cox. A group of rubble buildings dominated by 'Cox's Lum' [NO33SE 64.04], a 280ft (85.4m) red and white brick chimney in the form of a campanile, built in 1865-6 by engineers G A Cox and James Maclaren. There are a three-storey, attic and basement fireproof spinning mill with a cast-iron cupola, and extensive single-storey weaving-sheds.

J R Hume 1977.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Camperdown Linen Works.

Extensions to the Linen Works added at a later date.

Camperdown Works demolished, the Stack Leisure Park now exists at this location.

See

[Records relating to] Cox Brothers Ltd, Jute Spinners and Manufacturers, Dundee

Dundee University Library, Archive Services Collection, MS 66/2

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

CAMPERDOWN WORKS

Methven Street, Lochee

Once the world’s largest jute works, founded by Cox Brothers in 1850. It grew to carry out every process, and to have its own foundry, machine

shop and a branch railway in a 14.16ha (35-acre) site that employed 5000

people. Closed in 1981, it was pillaged by scrap dealers but saved by a project to develop housing and a leisure park. The High Mill (1858-68), is of fireproof construction with ornate cast-iron roofs, a clock and bell-tower, and twin columns for a large Carmichael beam engine. It has been

converted into flats, as has a railway warehouse. The 1863 calender for

cloth finishing became a superstore,(of Bolton) beam engine house retains columns entablature and other framework at its corners. Dominating Lochee is the 94m high Cox’s Stack (NO 38282 31636), a chimney that concentrated all the smoke from 32 boilers into an Italian campanile

of 1865. The Works Half-Time School (NO 37894 31751), 1884, is now a Boys Brigade hall in Bright Street.

Cox’s provided Lochee Park (NO 37751 31048), Lochee Baths and Library (NO 37950 31442, NO33SE 265, 1894) and yet did not escape bitter strikes.

James Cox lived in Clement Park just to the north of the works.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions