Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, 2 Lochee Road, Tay Works

Mill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, 2 Lochee Road, Tay Works

Classification Mill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tay Street Mills; North Tay Street; West Marketgait; Brown Street; Gilroys

Canmore ID 31970

Site Number NO33SE 63

NGR NO 39768 30432

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31970

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO33SE 63 39768 30432

(Location cited as NO 398 304). Tay Works (jute), Lochee Road, built 1865 and later. A three-storey and attic, 23-bay ashlar building with a pediment over the 11th to 15th bays, which also have round-headed openings. Adjacent to the north is a long four-storey and attic range with a central pediment.

J R Hume 1977.

Activities

Photographic Survey (27 April 2010)

Photographed by RCAHMS on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland Trust.

Publication Account (2013)

TAY WORKS (GILROY’S)

These long and perfectly proportioned neo-classical ranges for jute spinning and carpet weaving were built in 1851-65 by reconstructing earlier

mills.A giant pediment incorporates the initials G R & A Gilroy and the higher pediment sported a statue of Minerva. Behind this is a gothic cast iron roof, while the rest of the roofs are of wrought-iron ties. They are now Student Residences.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions