Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Abercrombie Church, Abercromby 3

Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Site Name Abercrombie Church, Abercromby 3

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Chapel

Canmore ID 319283

Site Number NO50SW 1.03

NGR NO 52189 03433

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/319283

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Monance
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Abercrombie 3, Fife, cross-slab

Measurements: H 1.20m, W 0.30m, D 0.14m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NO 52189 03433

Present location: at Abercrombie Church.

Evidence for discovery: recorded around 1850 by Stuart, re-used in the wall of the church. John Gifford attributes the creation of the north door using fragments of medieval gravestones to a reconstruction of 1597-1602, while the church was still in use as the parish church (1988, 86). This slab is set into the right-hand jamb of the doorway (as seen from outside the church).

Present condition: weathered,

Description

The visible face A is carved in relief with a cross on a semi-circular base, with a rectangular upper arm, square side-arms, square centre and squared armpits. The cross-head is ornamented with five small square hollows, one in each arm and at the top of the shaft and one in the centre.

Date: eighth or ninth century.

References: Stuart 1856, pl 124: ECMS pt 3, 349 (Abercromby); Gifford 1988.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016

Activities

Reference (1903)

Abercromby No.3 is an upright (?) cross-slab of sandstone, of rectangular shape, 4 feet 3 inches high by 1 foot 5 inches wide, sculptured in relief on one face thus-

Front.- In the middle, and extending the full length of the slab, a cross, ornamented with four small recessed squares, one in the centre of the head, and one on each of the four arms.

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903

Photographic Survey (March 1993)

Photographs of the carved stones in Abercrombie churchyard, Fife by Tom E Gray in 1993.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions