Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auchterhouse Mansion

Castle (17th Century), Hotel (20th Century)

Site Name Auchterhouse Mansion

Classification Castle (17th Century), Hotel (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Auchterhouse Mansion House Hotel; Old Mansion House; Wallace House

Canmore ID 31889

Site Number NO33NW 1

NGR NO 33113 37289

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31889

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Auchterhouse
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO33NW 1.00 33113 37289

NO33NW 1.01 33152 37282 Wallace Tower

NO33NW 1.02 33117 37029 Turbine House

NO33NW 1.03 33213 37345 Dovecot

NO33NW 1.04 33145 37361 Gate Piers

NO33NW 1.05 33167 37297 Laundry

NO33NW 1.06 33151 37351 Lodge

NO33NW 1.07 33146 37316 Stables

NO33NW 1.08 33095 37284 Sundial

(NO 3312 3728) Auchterhouse (NR) (restored)

(NO 3315 3727) Wallace Tower (NR)

OS 6" map, (1970)

Auchterhouse seems originally to have been a large and important castle with enclosing walls, defended by towers, and containing a keep. In course of time these walls have been removed, and the courtyard turned into gardens. Only the vaulted ground floor of the Wallace Tower (Jervise 1861) now remains, with indications of where the enclosing walls abutted against it.

The keep has been greatly changed by conversion into the mansion of Auchterhouse, which is noted by Jervise as in a neglected state. Its vaulted ground floor is no doubt contemporary with the ruined tower, but it is so altered externally that there are few features of interest to be seen.

Auchterhouse belonged to the Earl of Buchan in the 16th century.

A Jervise 1861; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

Auchterhouse is an extensively restored mansion with harled walls, and with the tower adjacent, is as described. The walls of the ruined tower are 3.0m thick and c. 3.7m high on all but the S side. A well is situated within its area, and there is another well in the path immediately W of the mansion, at NO 3311 3729.

Visited by OS (J L D) 5 May 1958.

Architecture Notes

NO33NW 1.00 33113 37289

NO33NW 1.01 33152 37282 Wallace Tower

NO33NW 1.02 33117 37029 Turbine House

NO33NW 1.03 33213 37345 Dovecot

NO33NW 1.04 33145 37361 Gate Piers

NO33NW 1.05 33167 37297 Laundry

NO33NW 1.06 33151 37351 Lodge

NO33NW 1.07 33146 37316 Stables

NO33NW 1.08 33095 37284 Sundial

NMRS REFERENCE

Auchterhouse

Architect: Mills & Shepherd - alterations 1920-23 for William Valentine.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions